The American Federation of Teachers is pleased to announce that we are accepting nominations for the 2022 Living the Legacy Awards. The AFT’s Women’s Rights Committee instituted this award in 1998 to recognize outstanding women leaders.
These biennial awards honor women who have demonstrated commitment within their communities for 30 years or more and meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Provided leadership and demonstrated activism in women’s rights issues;
- Maintained multiple decades of involvement in local, state and national AFT affiliates;
- Worked in the trade union movement;
- Acted as mentors, coaches and role models for other women; and/or
- Recognized as leaders in their own communities.
The awards, based on years of service, include:
Diamond recognition—50 years or more of service
Gold recognition—40 years or more of service
Silver recognition—30 years or more of service
You may nominate multiple individuals from your affiliate in as many categories as you wish. However, an individual may receive only one award for any service category per convention.
Nominations are due by Monday, May 30.
We look forward to receiving your nominations.