I CAN'T BREATHE: AN URGENT CRY FOR JUSTICE
2021 AFT CIVIL, HUMAN AND WOMEN’S RIGHTS CONFERENCE
Labor and community must serve as the check and balance to the forces that promote special interests, inflame divisions, and dismantle pathways to freedom. We must call out the role of white supremacy in stoking hate and examine how to stop the spread of its anti-Semitic, anti-Black, anti-Latino, anti-Asian American, anti-Native American, anti-Pacific Islander and anti-labor beliefs. Join us in person or virtually for an experience that informs your mind, inspires your heart, and moves your spirit to action.
Dates: October 22-23, 2021
Location: Washington Hilton Hotel
1919 Connecticut Avenue, N.W.
$50 in person registration fee
$25 virtual registration fee
Hotel rates: $251.74 per night (this includes the $219 room rate, fees and taxes)
Schedule at a Glance
3 p.m. – 6 p.m.
6:30 p.m. – 8 p.m.
8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
9 a.m. – 10 a.m.
Breakfast Plenary: All of Us
10:30 a.m. – noon
- You Will Not Replace Us: White Supremacy Forever
- We Are One: Race, Gender, Class & LGBTQIA+ Intersectionality
- Essential & Invisible: the Politics of Immigration
- Is this Education Justice? Lessons from educator-community coalition building
Noon – 2 p.m.
Luncheon Plenary: We’re Better Together
2:30 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Education, Not Deportation
- Patriarchy and Power
- Voter Suppression: White Supremacy in Disguise
4:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Black Lives Matter Plaza: Circle of Hope
Dinner on your own
8:30 a.m. – 9:45 a.m.
Breakfast Plenary: We Got This!
10 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Freedom to Thrive: Combating Anti-Asian Hate
- The Pink Tax: The Cost of Being a Woman
- Building Power for Equity and Justice - 10 Steps to building a community-union coalition
Noon – 1 p.m.
Closing Plenary: Righteous Resistance