We rely on both academic success and a prospective intern’s interest in learning more about the work of labor unions and the work of the AFT. We have no formal application. Students interested in an internship with the AFT should send the following:
- Cover letter:
1. explaining your interest in becoming an intern at the American Federation of Teachers;
2. what you expect to learn while at the AFT;
3. what you have to offer the AFT;
4. why you want to learn more about the labor movement;
5. the time period for which you are seeking an internship.
- resume that includes a list of any relevant coursework and contact information (phone and email);
- writing sample, if one is available (this is not required by all departments).
These items can be mailed to the AFT or sent via email to the contact listed below.
Salary, scheduling and application deadlines
The internship is a paid position according to the level of education ($13/hr for undergraduates or those with bachelor's degrees and $15/hr above bachelor's degrees).
The AFT does not provide housing or transportation for out-of-town students.
For time periods paralleling school semesters, the application deadlines are:
|January through April||November 1 of previous year|
|May through August||March 1|
|September through December||June 1|
A few internships are also available for up to one year, to begin at any time during the year. Applications for these internships are accepted year round and require the same information listed above.
American Federation of Teachers
555 New Jersey Ave N.W.
Washington, DC 20001