The AFT Higher Education department runs the union’s program of Student Debt Clinics, which teaches members across all of AFT’s constituencies about free federal programs to lower their student loan payments and achieve forgiveness of federal student loan debt.
We are currently seeking a paid intern to handle the logistics for the AFT Student Debt Clinic program for 2018-2019. This role will include:
- Receiving and responding to inquiries from affiliates that want to schedule AFT Student Debt Clinics
- Receiving and responding to inquiries from affiliates that want to schedule Train-the-Trainers, so that affiliate leaders or staff can run AFT Student Debt Clinics themselves.
- Maintaining the union’s calendar of clinics and, in consultation with AFT staff, ensuring that clinics are appropriately staffed
- Providing affiliate points-of-contact with resources necessary to register and communicate with clinic attendees, pre- and post-clinic
- Schedule permitting, assist in clinics and train-the-trainers. Limited travel for this purpose may be required.
Ideal candidates have, or have had, federal student loan debt. Strong written, oral communication and computer skills are required; some background in public policy and/or unions, or with other membership organizations, is helpful. Pay and benefits are in accordance with the AFT contract with the interns’ bargaining unit.
Because this is a year-long position, the application deadline is rolling; applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please send your application to the Intern Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, cc’ing AFT Higher Education department director Alyssa Picard at email@example.com.