In this section we present some of the best materials available on the Web. We've pulled them together into topics that you can use in their entirety or just take a few to supplement your lesson plans. We've also provided tips and suggestions around a variety of instructional strategies and techniques that you can add to your teaching repertoire.
Heritage Months, Celebrations & Events:
- Black History Month (February)
- Valentine's Day (February 14)
- Women's History Month (March)
- Jazz Appreciation Month (April)
- Earth Day (April 22)
- Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month (May)
- National Lab Day (May 12)
- Internet Safety Month (June)
- Labor History (September)
- Hispanic Heritage Month (Sept. 15 - Oct. 15)
- National American Indian Heritage Month (November)
- Classroom Resources—These AFT-developed resources help teachers incorporate international issues into their classrooms and focus mainly on the struggle for democracy and human rights around the world.
- Democracy Web—Use this resource on democracy to supplement your high school history curriculum.
- Connect Your Classroom with a Peace Corps Volunteer—Link up with a Peace Corps Volunteer working overseas at the grass-roots level who will correspond with your students.