AFT Healthcare-AFT Public Employees Joint Conference 2013
April 25-27, 2013, at the Hilton Baltimore, Md.
Welcome to the 2013 AFT Healthcare/AFT Public Employees Joint Conference webpage!
Today, healthcare professionals and public employees are facing unparalleled challenges in our workplaces and in our unions. We can meet these challenges through union-driven solutions that meet the needs of our members and the people they serve. At every level of the AFT, leaders and activists are developing solutions and acting to improve working conditions, deliver high-quality services and build our union. On a wide range of critical issues that concern AFT members and their families, we are working together for a better future. Register today to participate in the joint national conference for AFT Public Employees and AFT Healthcare members. Take part in the effort to address the dramatic challenges we face today all across the country.
Important conference information and deadlines:
Conference Registration and Hotel Reservations
- Online registration is now closed. You can register onsite at the registration desk in the Hilton Baltimore. The conference registration fee is $200 per person.
- First-Time Attendees: We will waive the registration fee for a first-time attendee. (Each affiliate can have up to four first-time attendee waivers.)
- The room rate is $189 (single or double) plus 15.5 percent tax per night.
- This rate is available through March 18; after that date, we cannot guarantee room availability.
- Click here for complete housing information.
We have planned many exciting sessions and activities. Click here for a tentative agenda.
Four concurrent pre-conference workshops will be held on Thursday, April 25, from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. Online registration for these workshops is now closed. Please register onsite. Here are the details on the pre-conference workshop:
- Managing a Crisis: Lessons Learned from Superstorm Sandy and the Newtown Tragedy
This session will explore the challenges of helping our members work through what might be the worst situation of their lives. What resources can local unions develop to help when a natural disaster or a human-inspired tragedy affects your community?
- Solution-Driven Unionism: Promoting a Wellness Agenda in the Union Contract, Health Insurance Program and for Your Membership
This extended session will introduce activists to different approaches that unions and public sector employers have taken to reduce health insurance costs and ensure that public workers stay healthy. From on-site public employee clinics to a full health-enhancement program, there is no need to reinvent the wheel when designing a wellness program for your members.
- Strategies to Identify and Address Bullying Behaviors
This extended, highly interactive session is designed to help individuals identify and stop bullying in the workplace, and to differentiate bullying from other inappropriate and unacceptable behaviors such as sexual harassment.
AFT Healthcare and AFT Public Employees each will offer general sessions and additional workshops covering the topics listed below. Some of the AFT Healthcare workshops offer contact hours for nurses.
- Union Building: Parts 1 & 2
- Legal Issues Related to Documentation: Social Media and Electronic Medical Records
- Status Report: National and State Initiatives Resulting from the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
- New Roles for RNs and Other Healthcare Providers: Care Coordination, Chronic Illness Management, Guided Care and more
- Yoga as Stress Management; Melding Mind and Body to Defuse Tension
- Addressing and Preventing Substance Abuse in Healthcare Workers: The HAVEN Model of Monitored Recovery
- Best Practices in Safe Patient Handling: Preventing Injury to Patients and Staff
- Public Speaking for Public Professionals
- Sequestration, Revenue and the Economy: Our Fights on Capitol Hill
- Community Engagement: Power MappingTaxes and Revenue: Sustainable Public Service Funding
- Electronic Tools for Union Building and Communications
- Public Employee Wage Comparisons
- The Affordable Care Act and Its Impact on Health Insurance Plans2013 Legal Update
- Fighting for Our Pension and Retirement Security
Click here for complete description.
- AFT Public Employees: Contact Karen Schiffhauer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-238-1133, ext. 4549
- AFT Healthcare: Contact Fun Shimabukuro at email@example.com or 800-238-1133, ext. 4508.
Photo courtesy of VisitBaltimore.org