WASHINGTON—On Monday at the American Federation of Teachers’ TEACH conference, AFT President Randi Weingarten will call for systemic education reform that incorporates successful, research-based strategies to help educate all children and to unite educators and communities.
Weingarten will contrast her vision with efforts across the country that denigrate teachers, defund public schools and impose top-down accountability rather than requiring shared responsibility.
TEACH (Together Educating America’s Children), the AFT’s biennial educational issues conference, will open Monday at 12:30 p.m. at the Marriott Wardman Park Hotel in Washington, D.C., with Weingarten’s keynote speech.
Following her speech, Weingarten will hold a media availability with conference-call capability for those unable to attend.
For a full agenda for the July 11-13 TEACH conference, go to www.aft.org/teach2011.
- AFT TEACH 2011 will be held at the Marriott Wardman Park Hotel,
2660 Woodley Road N.W., Washington, DC (at the Woodley Park Metro station).
- Press credentials should be picked up in the Jefferson Room (the AFT's press office) prior to the 12:30 p.m. opening session.
- The AFT press office phone number is 202/745-2140.
- Media availability with President Weingarten will be held Monday, July 11, at 2 p.m. The conference call-in number is: 877/873-8018; access code: 7600264.
- Live streaming of the general sessions can be found at: www.aft.org/teach2011/streaming.cfm