AFT Ads Celebrate Teacher Appreciation Week
To mark Teacher Appreciation Week, which is May 1-7, the AFT is running full-page advertisements in USA Today and in a number of big-city newspapers around the country.
The ads, which are running in both English and Spanish, feature quotes from students talking about how their teachers served as important mentors and role models. "These teachers, like so many of their colleagues, make a difference every day in their students' lives and within their communities," the ads say. "They know what it takes to brighten America's future."
In addition to the USA Today advertisement, which reaches a national audience, the ads are running in the following cities (* denotes the Spanish version):
- Chicago – Extra Una Voz* and Chicago Crusader Newspaper Group
- Cincinnati – La Jornada Latina* and Cincinnati Herald
- Cleveland – City News
- Detroit – Latino Detroit* and Michigan Chronicle
- Newark – Al Dia* and Jersey City Daily Challenger
- Philadelphia – Al Dia* and Philadelphia Tribune
- Pittsburgh – La Jornada Latina* and New Pittsburgh Courier
- Providence – Providence en Espanol*
- Toledo – Toledo Journal
The ads urge readers to show their appreciation by "telling your state and federal legislators that for our children's sake, our teachers need to be supported, ought to be respected, and must be heard."
See the ads online. [Dan Gursky]
April 29, 2011