AFT Gives Back!
While we’re in Detroit, here are a few ways to help AFT members who work with young children in our host city and state.
Harvest, Taste and Learn at the AFT Healthy
Living Community Event
Thursday, July 26
11 a.m. - 4 p.m.
The AFT is partnering with Share Our Strength, Urban Farming, Gleaners Community Food Bank, and First Book to bring a healthy living fair to the Gladstone & Linwood Community Garden in Detroit. We’ll volunteer along with community kids and their parents, and have an opportunity to see firsthand how easy it is to start a community garden and take your bounty to harvest.
Join us! We’ll be:
- Participating in healthy cooking demonstrations with local chefs;
- Handing out free books for local kids and reading with them;
- Harvesting/weeding at the community garden; and
- Learning how to start a community garden in your own town.
We’ll be working in several shifts: from 10:30 a.m.- 12:30 p.m., Noon-2:30 p.m. and 2:00-4:00 p.m. Transportation between the Cobo Center and the Gladstone & Linwood Community Garden will be provided. Wear comfortable clothes.
Bring a New Backpack of School Supplies for a Detroit Student
Before you come to Detroit, work with your affiliate’s members to assemble new school supplies in new backpacks to drop off at the convention when you arrive. Some needed supplies are:
- loose-leaf notebook paper
- spiral notebooks
- pencils and pens
- bottled glue and glue sticks
- markers and colored pencils
Or, you could ask each of your delegates to purchase one of the items, carry it to the convention and then assemble backpacks in Detroit.