AFT Gives Back!
Helping our community is what we do and who we are. As part of the AFT convention again this year, we will participate in "AFT Gives Back" events in our host community.
Celebrate Literacy, Good Nutrition and Health at the AFT Community Event
Thursday, July 10
2 p.m. – 6 p.m.
Volunteer with your fellow delegates at the All Peoples Community Center, where kids and families participate in preschool and afterschool programs, a summer feeding program, tutoring, and parenting classes.
We’ll undertake beautification projects at the center as well as provide free books to feed the mind, offer nutritious food and cooking demos to feed the body, and teach healthy living practices to feed the spirit.
Join us to help with:
- Painting, repairing and organizing classrooms and common areas
- The inaugural AFT Book Olympics with reading games and book giveaways
- A wellness fair for kids and parents
- Healthy cooking demonstrations
We’ll be working in shifts from 2 p.m. – 4 p.m. and 4 p.m. – 6 p.m. Transportation between the Los Angeles Convention Center and the All Peoples Community Center will be provided. Wear comfortable clothes.
Bring School Supplies, Backpacks and Clothing for L.A. Students
The AFT is partnering with the Los Angeles Promise Neighborhood project, which supports a broad range of programs for kids from cradle to college to career.
Before you come to L.A., work with your affiliate’s members to fill a backpack with new school supplies and toiletries, and new or gently worn clothes for Los Angeles students in need, then drop it off at the convention center when you arrive. Some needed supplies are:
- Early childhood books (ages 0-5)
- Baby bottles, diapers, wipes
- Baby toiletries—lotion, shampoo, kids’ toothbrushes
- Books (grade school to young adult)
- Sturdy new backpacks
- School supplies, including loose-leaf notebook paper, spiral notebooks, pencils and pens, scissors, bottled glue and glue sticks, markers and colored pencils
- Clothing for work/workforce development—blazers, slacks or khakis, collared shirts, dresses—men’s and women’s clothing in all sizes, ages 16 and up
- New backpacks or work totes
- Toiletries, including shampoo, disposable razors, soap, deodorant, lotion, toothbrushes and toothpaste