SUPPORT OF 'IMPROVING LITERACY AND COLLEGE AND CAREER READINESS THROUGH EFFECTIVE SCHOOL LIBRARY PROGRAMS'
WHEREAS, the Strengthening Kids' Interest in Learning and Libraries Act (SKILLs Act) was introduced by Sen. Jack Reed (D-R.I.) in the 113th Congress; and
WHEREAS, the SKILLs Act includes Section 1251, "Improving Literacy and College and Career Readiness Through Effective School Library Programs"; and
WHEREAS, Section 1251 includes important and dedicated funding for:
- Staffing of all school libraries with state certified or licensed school librarians;
- Up-to-date books, materials, equipment and technology (including broadband);
- The development of information, digital and research literacy;
- Professional development in the acquisition of digital literacy skills and literacy instruction that is appropriate for all grades;
- Activities that foster increased collaboration among school librarians, teachers and administrators; and
- Providing students with access to school libraries during nonschool hours, including the hours before and after school, during weekends, and during summer vacation periods:
RESOLVED, that the American Federation of Teachers believes strongly that the next iteration of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act should include Section 1251 of the SKILLs Act; and
RESOLVED, that the AFT will assist the American Association of School Librarians with public support of its lobbying efforts for the passage of Section 1251 of the SKILLs Act of 2013.